Stop everything you’re doing. I’m serious. You have to watch Birdman. Now.
This year’s Best Picture was definitely one to watch. Directed and co-written by the obscurely known Alejandro Inãritu, Birdman tells us the story of a washed-down movie actor Riggan Thompson starring in an original Broadway play, in attempt to give his career a face-lift. Of course, no story is a story without the character going through some obstacles, and in this one, it’s him facing a crisis that involves his own daughter pointing it out to him.
All of the actors in this movie were really good, and their characters were definitely up to par. There’s the lead, Michael Keaton (who deservingly got that Oscar nomination), Zach Galifianakis, Naomi Watts and the list goes on. The special character Birdman is not only the role Riggan is most famous for from his previously released movies, but also his alter ego. In real life. The second voice in his head that tells him what to do.
The gist of it is that it’s really funny. It might be a little hard for you to follow for the first few minutes because it is a bit slow (just a wee bit!), but once you get into it, you get into it.
Key points as to why you should watch it.
1. The cinematography. There’s a reason why Emmanuel Lubezki won that award for the second time in a row.
2. The scene cuts (or lack of thereof). The whole movie feels like it was one whole take--something that must have been incredibly difficult to pull off. So kudos to the production team.
3. The performances. Every single one of them.
4.Emma Stone. Because duh.
5. Oh, and Edward Norton. Again - because duh. Who wouldn’t want to watch the ex-Hulk? If J.K. Simmons wasn’t in Whiplash, Edward Norton would have gotten that Best Supporting Actor award.
6. The really weird but somehow appealing score. It’s odd but it’s good? Idk, can’t explain.
7. That scene that Neil Patrick Harris parodied at the Oscars. No words.
So when you’re in the mood to watch something fresh and really cool, stop looking and watch Birdman. Plus, looking at Emma Stone’s eyes is definitely something to enjoy.
BY ALISA NADHIFA
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.